Math Department Curriculum Overview
The Queen City Academy Charter School Math Department teaches scholars practical math skills so they can become mathematically literate and independent problem solvers.
Our math curriculum from elementary to middle school age is aligned with Common Core math standards and focuses on developing problem-solving competencies through small group instruction, engaging activities, and assessments.
Math Department Methods & Programming
Scholars from grades K-4 develop skills through the following program utilized by our teachers:
- “Go Math!” from Houghton, Mifflin, Harcourt
- Lesson plans are dynamic and interactive to capture the attention of today’s technologically savvy student
- Students learn the meaning of problem-solving and basic tactics for finding pathways to solutions
- Instructors use a guided approach to teaching where scholars work in small groups on rigorous math tasks
- Teachers measure progress and comprehension with assessments
Scholars from grades 5-8 develop skills through the following program utilized by our teachers:
- “Math in Focus!” from Houghton, Mifflin, Harcourt
- Students learn math through hands-on experiences with digital learning tools
- Lessons connect math skills to real-world situations
- Coursework teaches traditional math content related to Common Core standards in a way that emphasizes understanding and critical thinking
For more information on resources used for our math curriculum, visit the following websites: