Website The Queen City Academy Charter School
The Queen City Difference
At Queen City Academy Charter School, teachers are our most treasured assets. We expect academic and character excellence from QCACS students, and our teachers help foster a dynamic learning environment where students receive the necessary preparation and support to rise to that challenge. Therefore, teacher and staff recruitment at QCACS is a vitally important process through which we seek to attract and retain educators with an immediately discernible passion for helping children meet their highest potential. Teachers work in a collegial setting where the faculty and administration collaborate to ensure a high-quality education experience for students, while benefiting from supportive parent partners who are deeply committed to their children’s success.
A small K-12 school, QCACS is a place where people enter to learn and work but experience the fulfillment of a family atmosphere as they are inducted into our nurturing yet challenging environment. Our employees enjoy competitive salaries, benefits, merit pay opportunities, and pension. More importantly, they enjoy the privilege of teaching in a place where they are supported professionally and personally.
The Elementary School Principal must be a visionary instructional leader. Having read the mission and vision of QCACS, you embrace these values, principles, and methods. In our small school, you are expected to engage with each student and recognize them as individuals. As a senior leader at QCACS, you are a champion for QCACS and hold high academic expectations by working to cultivate a community of continuous learning that is grounded in principles of equity and cultural relevancy.
The Executive Director (ED) and Elementary School Principal will work together to implement a cohesive, clear vision and ensure the school meets its mission and academic goals. Although many dues will overlap, the Executive Director’s focus is on the operational side and the principal’s focus is on academics and school culture. Together, they will:
- Develop and sustain a school culture that embodies a strong sense of community through collaborative academic coursework, community service, leadership opportunities, and character development.
- Establish and facilitate an atmosphere of individual growth and mutual respect.
- Establish collaborative partnerships with community agencies that service the school community.
- Work with Union County College to implement the Dual Enrollment Program.
- Build strong relationships with parents, families, and the community.
- Ensure equity and high expectations across the school.
- Promote a culture of trust, where risk-taking and reflection are valued.
Diverse Learning Community
At QCACS we are committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive learning community, which is integral to our school culture and included in our social justice education. QCACS has developed a plan that focuses recruitment of a diverse team of culturally sensitive faculty and staff. Prospective staff must demonstrate cultural and racial awareness and provide examples of their commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strive to create a learning environment that exposes students to a breadth of differences, informs their perspective, and prepares them to shape the world. QCACS is an equal opportunity employer.
Responsibilities to Families, Students & Teachers
- Welcome all students and families and get to know them through direct outreach and school events.
- With families, students and staff, implement and maintain high standards of excellence.
- Inspire teachers to be deeply engaged in the work of learning and teaching, and help them develop their leadership skills in support of the school’s mission and continued growth.
- Develop and implement a collaborative method of evaluation to provide ongoing feedback for staff that leads to constant professional improvement. Lead and empower teachers to use student achievement data to reflect on teaching practices and make formal and informal decisions about instruction.
- Collaboratively develop, plan, and implement engaging professional development for all staff; seek opportunities to engage appropriate outside services where needed.
- Assume responsibility for evaluating student learning by collecting and analyzing a variety of qualitative and quantitative information; employ the results to continually improve learning and engagement among all students.
Ongoing Leadership Responsibilities
- Help select and onboard new instructional staff;
- Collaborate on enhancing the K-8 curriculum and instructional model with the ED and curriculum consultants;
- Execute school policies, systems, and structures that will support the development of a learning environment that fits with QCACS’ core beliefs;
- Contribute to budgeng that focuses first on students but supports the well-being of teachers.
- Connect the school community with the larger educational community, including other charter, public, and independent schools in New Jersey;
- Encourage others to make decisions that are right for them by being supportive, not authoritarian; but be able to make occasional tough decisions.
Ideal candidates will have most of the following qualifications:
- NJDOE Professional Certificate with an endorsement as Principal/ Supervisor.
- A minimum of eight years of teaching plus school-based administrative or supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated ability to model shared/distributed leadership; experience leading a professional learning community; and the ability to inspire a team around a progressive vision.
- Strong technology skills relating to blended learning, data analysis, and communications.
- Experience in project-based, interdisciplinary learning models and willingness to embrace innovative pedagogy that supports whole child development.
- Clear and compelling verbal and written communication.
- Proficiency in Spanish or another foreign language. We serve relatively high numbers of students and families who speak Spanish.
Characteristics of a successful Elementary School Principal
- Entrepreneurial spirit and ability to work in a fast-paced, startup environment.
- Great follow through skills: say what you mean and do what you promise to do.
- Ability to build relationships with a diverse group of constituents, including involving families and community members in all phases of the school program.
- Demonstrated commitment to the belief that all children can achieve success, in the quality of their academic work and in working together for a common goal.
- Commitment to creating a place where everybody knows each other, respects and admires individual differences, and embraces people pursuing their passions.
- Reflective, resourceful, willingness to listen, humility, flexibility and a sense of humor.
- Strong personal commitment to diversity, inclusion, cultural competency and equity; experience with programs and practices in this area, a recognition of one’s own biases; and experience working in urban communities.
- Holding him/herself to the same high standards expected of faculty, staff, and students.
QCACS offers a competitive salary and benefits. The salary range for this role is $115,000 – $150,000. Compensation for the role will depend on a number of factors including qualifications, skills, competencies and experience and may fall outside the range shown.
All applicants are asked to complete the online application and submit a resume or vita (including education, certification, relevant work experience, and any awards, publications or honors). Electronic portfolios are welcome and highly encouraged.
The Queen City Academy Charter School is the first charter school located in Plainfield, New Jersey. QCACS currently serves 324 scholars in grades K-8. Our mission is to create lifelong learners and equip staff with the opportunity to successfully shape and transform lives by cultivating learners that possess the ability to be critical-thinkers and demonstrate leadership skills required to continuously open new doors which create generational successes. All staff are expected to be committed to the mission of QCACS, have a positive and professional attitude, exhibit a strong work ethic (including a willingness to work long hours) and possess an inner drive for personal and professional excellence. The Queen City Academy Charter School of Plainfield is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job please visit accesseducationaladvisor.applytojob.com.